Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Boston...how do we comprehend the incomprehensible?

It's been a week and a day since the horror perpetrated upon the Boston Marathoners, their loved ones and the city of Boston itself happened. I know that I am not at all alone, but I simply can not wrap my brain around this tragedy...especially so soon after Sandy Hook and the devastation of that community. While not an excuse of any kind it does seem like the evidence points to the fact that Adam Lanza was severely mentally ill...but what is the explanation for these two young men...immigrants granted refuge in this country as boys, welcomed here to begin new lives full of hope and promise? What could possibly prompt them to think that killing and maiming innocent people in the very city that embraced them was a justifiable act, a reasonable act, a purposeful act? How could their young minds have become so hostile, so convoluted, so evil? I am afraid that we will never know the answer to that question because their actions and state of mind defy understanding, defy logic, defy basic human decency.

So, we are all left to feel bereft once again at the vast ocean of sadness and anger engulfing us every time something senseless like this happens. Where can we put our grief, our sorrow, our fear and our sense of hopelessness? Honestly, I have no answer other than to combat it all with kindness and love. I simply don't know what else to do other than double up my efforts to make a difference in the world...even if it's just my little corner of the world, even if it's just with one little comment or gesture of compassion or humor to someone in need, even if it's just a smile to a stranger while out taking a walk.

I am re-committing myself to raising my son to become a decent, loving, compassionate man with a kind heart and a profound sense of responsibility to his fellow citizens. I am re-committing myself to look in the mirror everyday and find ways to be my best self...and then to actually BE that best self out in the world. I am re-committing myself to look at my neighbor be they next door, cross town or cross country with new eyes and a more open heart. I am re-committing myself to being as authentic and honest as I can possibly be with myself and others. And finally, I am re-committing to holding myself to the highest standard of being a human being and all that that entails.

In doing so I hope that my light will shine brightly enough to block out and eradicate some of the darkness that lives in the world.I am also hoping that even if I am only able to give someone just "one minute of happiness" it will have immeasurable value. Maybe if we all re-committed ourselves to these principles we will be able to make the world a safer place to live...a place filled with more grace, a place filled with noble intent, a place filled with unconditional love...that is my dream...please join me and make it yours too.

xoxo Nanci

No comments:

Post a Comment