Friday, November 2, 2012

Joshua's Big Bar Mitzvah Day!

OMG...I cannot believe that it has been so long since I last wrote a blog...please forgive me! My only excuse is that I've been a little bit busy. I had barely recovered from the 2012 Sugar & Stilettos Bake Sale Extravaganza for Charity when I had to head full speed ahead with the final planning for Joshua's Bar Mitzvah...OY VEY and OOH LA LA is all I can say. I swear I am still in a stupor from this year of uber organizing!

Me, My Parents, Cantor Kent, Joshua, Rabbi Joel on the Bimah
Anyway, I am thrilled to report that the Bar Mitzvah was an absolutely incredible experience for one and all. Joshua did a brilliant job with his Torah portion, his Haftorah, his D'Var Torah...well, just all things Torah! I was so proud of him...plus seeing both of my parents so happy was an extra special bonus.

The night before my parents hosted a dinner for all the out-of-town guests plus a few in town folks. There was Josh wine (yes, there is a vineyard in northern California that produces Josh wines!), Josh photo cookies and a lot of eating, drinking, laughing and loving.

The Bar Mitzvah Boy/Man
The next morning began by getting to the temple a bit early to start the picture taking with our nearest and dearest. I hobbled around because, of course, I had to get a stress fracture on my right foot two weeks before this momentous event...however, I will tell you that there was nothing that was going to keep me from enjoying this day to the fullest. In fact, a few days in advance I told all the people that I had hired that I was no longer available...that they had "to talk amongst themselves" and solve any last minute problems because I was now in pure enjoyment mode. Gratefully, they all listened to me, and if there were any snafus, to this day I still don't know about them.

The Cousins
Our guests were streaming in the entire time. With a bunch of pictures already taken, everyone headed into the sanctuary where the service was to take place. Our wonderful Rabbi Joel and Cantor Kent lead the service with our Senior Rabbi Zoe making a special blessing at the end. Throughout, Joshua held his composure, a remarkable feat considering all the pressure and preparation leading up to this...it was me and my parents, not to mention many of our friends and family members, who lost it at various times. Particularly touching was the presentation of the Tallit (prayer shawl) by my parents, the aliyahs said by our closest family and friends and the passing of the Torah from one generation to another. So amazing to think that we were now a part of this four thousand year old tradition.

Confetti Blast during Traditional Chair Dance
Greatly relieved and ready to party everyone went out into the lobby to have a nosh and a drink before going in to the Social Hall for the party and luncheon. There was rock and rollin' dancing galore, great food, the candle lighting ceremony, the Joshua montage, my thank you/welcoming speech and Joshua's presentation of a Medal of Honor for our Operation Mend soldier, Louis Dahlman...a standing ovation for Louis spontaneously happened and I assure there was not a dry eye in the house, including Louis himself...a priceless, breathtaking moment.

Grandpa & JB with their matching rings
Joshua's Mitzvah project was to raise awareness for the Operation Mend program at UCLA whose mission it is to heal the wounds of war by helping to heal our wounded warriors. We have been a buddy family for Louis and his family for over three years...for us, they are now a part of our family forever...we adore them. It was a privilege to be able to include Louis, Laura and their toddler daughter, Stella, in this celebration...all of it Joshua's idea. Joshua also decided to donate $6,500.00 of his Bar Mitzvah money to Operation Mend which was matched by my parents' friend, Christa Burke, through her foundation bringing the total to $13,000.00 plus a few other donations that were made directly to the organization. I simply couldn't have prouder of my son than I was.

I could go on and on but I won't...I know you get the idea...suffice it to say, it was a glorious day filled with profound meaning and gravitas, but also humor and fun...and much, much love. A perfect day in every way...

xoxo Nanci

2 comments:

  1. It was a beautiful perfect day! Joshua was/is awesome with such grace, wisdom, wit, & fun. Nanci, you are an outstanding Mom, fantastic party event planner, wonderful friend, amazing human being, who knows how to make the world a better place through all that you do! xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sharon for such words of love and support...it was a complete joy to have you with us to celebrate...forever memories...xo

      Delete