Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Les Fleurs Magnifiques!

Is there anything better, really, than fragrant fresh flowers in your home or garden? Alright, maybe a close tie with the sensual scent of just baked sweet treats...but, come on, those fresh flowers, like the scent of a powdered baby's behind, melts my heart and my senses every time...it fills me with such joy and serenity I don't know what to do with myself except to savor and enjoy the moment...all the while sipping a glass of wine, preferably a Provencal rose, and rocking rhythmically back and forth on my front porch rocker...ah, the nirvana of it all...

Bouvardia Flowers arrangement
I've always liked being surrounded by fresh flowers but it was during my time living in Paris that I really came to appreciate the beauty of a bouquet. I loved spending time cruising the stalls at the flower market on Ile de la Cite or just buying something at my local florist. Not a week went by without a new arrangement in my tiny 5th floor walk up apartment in the 5eme arrondisement (near the Sorbonne and the Jardin du Luxembourg). The flowers made my miniscule space seem bigger, more open, more inviting. And there are just certain things the French do with such flair that you'd have to be totally unconscious not to notice...I noticed the floral obsession as well as the wine, bread, pastry, fashion and food obsessions...OOH LA LA!

Back in the States I try to have fresh flowers in the house as often as possible plus my English style garden has been a priority since I had it designed thirteen years ago. Even though my front and back yards are very small my garden is a complete indulgence...way too expensive to maintain...but such a breathtaking delight and joy to behold that I can't let it go.

Vida Floral arrangement
My favorite flower has to be the incredibly fragrant Star Gazer Lily which literally fills my house with its intoxicating scent. I also love, love, love roses, peonies, sweet peas and jasmine...all flowers that are not only gorgeous to look at but also beautiful to smell. My Grandma Rose (my father's mother) used to have a rose garden at my Aunt Irene's house where she lived. I have such fond memories of her taking me by my little five year old hand out to her roses and smelling them together. To this day, every time I see or smell a rose I think of her.

Anyway, feast your eyes on the two arrangements above that were donated by Juliet of Bouvardia Flowers and Gabriela of Vida Floral for the Sugar & Stielttos Bake Sale Extravaganza...as you can see both extraordinarily gifted artists of the floral type....and next time you think that you don't have enough money to splurge on a bouquet of flowers for yourself and your home...think again and buy them...it will change the way you live each moment all week long...

xoxo Nanci

1 comment:

  1. Flowers are important. Your garden is beautiful!
    Love, S

    ReplyDelete