Tuesday, October 19, 2010

My other best friend, Peter, aka Joshua's godfather

Joshua and Peter a few years ago doing their Halloween thing
Well, it's really hard to describe my friendship with Peter. We've known each other for almost 30 years and have had a very close friendship for over 25 of those years. He's been and continues to be a patient and constant confidant, a  much cherished member of my inner circle of intimates, an unconditionally loving "brother" in the best sense of the word, a supporter of my dreams, a believer in my talents, a committed, fabulous godfather to my son, Joshua...and that's just a small part of who he is to me.

We met in a Los Angeles acting class in the early 1980s. Peter had grown up in Pennsylvania, graduated from Yale and then headed to California to pursue his actor ambitions. I had grown up here in Los Angeles, graduated from UC Berkeley a few years later and then headed home to pursue my dreams of stage and screen.

In the beginning we were very skeptical of one another. One could even goes as far as to say that we weren't too fond of the other. I thought he was a bit snobby and he thought I was a bit bitchy. We were both right. We worked together from time to time doing scene work, we hung out with groups of people from class who partied together but otherwise kinda just tolerated each other...nothing mean and nasty, but definitely not warm and fuzzy.

The turning point came after there had been a prolonged break in our class when our acting coach, Joan Darling had stopped teaching. When she begun again, Peter and I were both back as well. Since we hadn't seen each other in the interim, we had no idea what we'd each been up to.

It was exciting to be back in class with Joan again...her energy, as always, was electric. On the day I did my first scene I was filled with anticipation. I'd been working really hard on myself as a person and an actress so I was anxious to get up and work, flex my creative muscles, get feedback from Joan so I could continue to grow. I was certainly no Meryl Streep, but I still wanted to be the best actress that I could be. I was surprisingly convinced that I had an artistic voice worth sharing along with some natural talent (though it was mostly hidden at that point) which I wanted to be able to put it out into the world.

I did my scene to much applause and kudos which made me feel great. At the class break while I was sitting on a banquette in the theatre lobby Peter approached me. "Your work was amazing today. What's happened to you since I last saw you?" "I've been in therapy,"I replied candidly and without reservation. "Really? You think that's made the incredible difference in your work?" "Oh, yeah, I'm positive. It's changing everything." We continued to talk and connect throughout the break. "Would you like to go out for coffee sometime? I'd like to talk to you more about this." And thus, our real friendship began in earnest.

Peter and Me circa 1995
From that moment forward neither one of us ever looked back. "Petit a petit" as my French friends say, we have built a friendship to last a lifetime. We have been there for each other through every conceivable life experience. We have shared exhilarating highs and devastating lows. We have become entwined in each others' lives...both family and friends. We have never really fought and when we have feelings that are uncomfortable or require probing we always discuss them and figure it out. There is a quiet, respectful understanding and sanity to our relationship that is at once, calming and reassuring.

I'm going to share a little story to give you some real insight into what kind of a man and human being Peter is. In the fall of 1993 (after five and a half years in NYC and one year living in Paris) I was starring in and producing the Los Angeles premiere production of Lee Blessing's play, DOWN THE ROAD, at the Tiffany Theatre on Sunset Blvd. (big, wonderful marquee and all!) It was a HUGE deal for me. Lee Blessing was (and still is!) a Pulitzer Prize and Tony Award nominated playwright who'd given me the rights to the play in LA for basically nothing just because I was so passionate about it. DOWN THE ROAD is a searing three person drama that challenged me to the max at every turn, plus it was my first big time producing gig, where I raised all the money and set the tone for everything that was to follow for the production.

It just so happened that my opening night was in the middle of Peter's vacation with his family in Maine. That did not stop him from attending. Not only did he send me a gorgeous bottle of champagne attached to a beautiful bunch of balloons that exclaimed "YOU ARE SO SPECIAL" but he flew in for opening night staying for the after party until the wee hours of the night. First thing the next morning he flew back to Maine to finish his vacation. Can you believe that?! I mean, who wouldn't love a guy like that?! Who wouldn't feel like they had won the best friend lottery? (By the way, my other best friend, Penny, was also in the audience having flown in from Chicago - really, could I be more blessed?).

Me, My Parents and Peter in Sun Valley, Idaho
Anyway, there you have it...30 years later we are still going strong and Joshua is the lucky beneficiary...his Uncle Peter loves him with a devotion that is enviable...and now at fifty-six Peter has found his true love and just gotten married for the first time (a lovely gal who prefers to remain anonymous), so our tight knit "family" is expanding. Me, a single mom for eleven years now, Peter married...wonders never cease, do they?!

Peter and Joshua after his Rose Gathering at school
Wishing you all best friends like Peter and Penny...

xoxo Nanci

P.S. Peter is a big SUGAR & STILETTOS fan...sans doute!

No comments:

Post a Comment